Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

THE HEART OF A PUPPY...THE SCREAM OF A PANTHER

One of my neighbors, who lived about one-half mile from me, dropped in one day.

"Punky (Oscar) is keeping us awake at night," he complained. I informed him that Oscar was kept in the house at night so it couldn't be him. "I've seen him," he said.

The man owned a beautiful white Persian female. "He gets under our bedroom window and screams like a panther," he said, "It just about scares us to death."

I told him Oscar was only out occasionally when we couldn't get him to come in. Besides I had NEVER heard him scream like that. Oscar had been "fixed" at an early age, so there was no reasonable reason for him to be stalking this man's female.

A few weeks later I was sitting at the computer, when I saw a bobcat go across our deck. He stopped at the sliding glass door and looked in. All of a sudden Oscar spotted him. Every hair on his body stood straight up, his tail tripled in size as he bounced to the glass door and let out the gawd-awfullest scream I had ever heard. When I say it scared the crap out of me, that's almost an understatement. It was absolutely bone chilling.

If you've ever heard a panther or mountain lion scream you know what I'm talking about. The bobcat knew exactly what that meant. He took off like a shot and I never saw him on my deck again.

I had no idea a Maine Coon could scream like that. I only heard him do that one other time, I knew he was getting ready to do it, and there's still no way to prepare yourself for that sound.

No comments: