Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

OSCAR THE TALKING CAT

As Oscar grew, he seemed to double in size about every two weeks.  By the time he reached 18 months old, he was really getting two big and heavy for me to hold and by 4 years old he was a whopping 30 pounds.

He was a clown. Everything was a toy to him. Alan brought home one of those two story carpeted cat "apartments". He would climb onto the top "floor" and then flop out onto the floor on his back. We just rolled laughing and he continued the same thing over and over for 30 minutes. He was a silly cat.

By the time he was a year old, he could no longer fit into the apartment so he would just turn it over and roll it all over the floor. It made a great toy.

From the time we brought him home, he was mama's boy. I was home recovering from a knee replacement, Alan was working 2 jobs, so Oscar was my constant companion. I talked to him all the time. About one year old, I thought I heard him say "mama". I tried to get him to repeat it but it was a couple of months before he repeated it. After that, he used the word all the time and then began to repeat other words I used frequently. He couldn't say an "L" so when he would say "hello" it came out Hewoe.

Every morning I would get Alan up to go to work. I would step into the utility room (right outside Alan's bedroom) and holler, "Alan, get up!" One night about 3 a.m., Alan woke me up, flopping around in bed, obviously irritated. "What's your problem!" I snarled at him.

Alan said "That cat keeps calling me." Sure enough, a few minutes later I heard the cat outside the bedroom in the utility room hollering, "Ow-in UP! Ow-in UP!" I was roaring with laughter and got up so poor "Ow-in" could go back to sleep.

By the time Oscar was 4 years old he had an eleven word English vocabulary, that included yeah, no, out, and tub. Every time I would go to the bathroom, he would say "tub" because he wanted me to turn on the water so he could play. He loved water! In the summers he would play in the water whenever I would water the plants outside. He played in the pond catching frogs. And if it started raining, he insisted on going outside and running around in the rain. He was a real water-baby.

No comments: